Ganiyat Adejoke Adesina-Uthman,PhD. ACMA, MNES, FCE, FIFP is an Associate Professor of Economics, a Financial Economist/ Islamic Finance Consultant, Social Analyst, Trained e-Learning Facilitator and a Public Commentator. She obtained her PhD. (Economics) From University Putra Malaysia, 2011. She is a member of Governing Council-Institute of Islamic Finance Professional; an Associate of Chartered Institutes of Cost and Management Accountant (CICMA); Fellow, Chartered Economist of Nigeria and Ghana; Full Member, Nigerian Economics Society, Fellow, Insitute of Islamic Professionals (FIFP), Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences and Head of the Department of Economics, a trained e-Facilitator with certification from Open Polytechnics of New Zealand. She has publications in national and international referred journals, indexed in EBSCOHOST, ELSIVIER, SSRN. She is a recipient of local and international awards and grant among which are DAAD scholarship grant for International Dean’s Course, from DIES. HRK and Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany, 2019. United State of American Embassy Grant- 2018 and 2019. Most Resourceful Staff of the Year 2015; African Role Model for Excellent Award, 2016. Award of Excellence, Immense Contribution in Capacity Building And Students’ Development For Academic Excellence, Faculty of Social Sciences Students’ Forum (FSSSF), National Open University of Nigeria, 2019. Award of Excellence, Best Dean of The Year, Economics Student Forum, National Open University of Nigeria (NESF), 2019.
- Academic and administrative head of the Faculty, overseeing the activities of HODs of 6 departments
- Member to university committees that are crucial to university management.
- Heading academic and administrative management of department of Economics.
- Supervising examination items such as TMAs, question settings, marking guides.
- Monitoring and supervising e-Examinations and Pen-on-paper examinations
- Delivery of global best practices to a system that is Student-centred.
- Term Structure Analysis
- Liquidity and Profitability
- Islamic Economics and Finance
- Financial Economics
- Development Economics
- ODL and Inclusive Education
- Feminist Economics
You can access my papers on the > Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:http://ssrn.com/author=
- Books already published
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A., Dauda, R.O.S, and Odishika V.A. 2018. Population and Sustainable Development: An Assessment of 2004 Nigeria Population Policy. Chapter in a Book in Economics of human Resources. A Book in honour of Prof. Folayan. Department of Economics, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2015. Term Structure of Profit Rates and Sukuk Bond Pricing: MATLAB Stochastic Simulation. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, British Library Cataloguing ISBN (10): 1-4438-6885-X, ISBN (13): 978-1-4438-6885-3), pp.1-275. (Contribution: 100%, International)
- Chapters in Books
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 201 A Periscopic View: The Future of Islamic Banking and Finance in Nigeria in Essential of Islamic Banking and Finance in Nigeria. Edited by Dandago, K.I, Muhammad, A.D and Oseni, U.A. Benchmark Publishers Limited, Nigeria. pp. 388-408.
- Uthman, I. O. and Adesina-Uthman, G. A. 2012. The Role of Zakah and Waqf Management in Poverty Alleviation of Muslim women in Nigeria. Hassan Ahmed Ibrahim and Rafikul Islam (eds.) Management of Resources in Muslim Countries and Communities: Challenges and Prospects, International Islamic University Malaysia Printing Sdn Berhard, pp.235-251.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Ibrahim Olatunde Uthman. 2009. Niqab: issues and Implications in Women, Islam and Current Issues in Development Edited by Wole Abbas and Jade Mohammad, Obafemi Awolowo University Press Ltd., Ile-Ife, Nigeria. pp. 131-161.
(c) Articles that have already appeared in learned journals
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. and Ohioze, W.F. 2018. Implication of Campaign Funding on the Nigerian Economy: Evidence from 2015General Elections. Journal of Social Sciences, JSSNOUN Vol 2, Number 1, National Open University of Nigeria.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2018. Higher Education and Sustainable Development for Knowledge-based Nigerian Economy, Journal of Economics Studies, 15(1), pp. 21-38.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2017. Poverty Reduction and Inequality: Sustaining Millennium Development Goals Achievements of Selected African Countries. African Journal of Sustainable Development AJSD Vol. 7, No 1, Centre for Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2017. Financial Development and Economic Growth in Nigeria: Autoregressive Distributive Lag Model Analysis. Journal of Social Sciences, JSSNOUN Vol 1, Number 1, National Open University of Nigeria.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. and Odishika, V.A. 2017. Financial Inclusion for Women Empowerment: The Role of Microfinance Institutions in Nigeria. The Gazelle. A Multi-disciplinary Journal of the Faculty of General Studies, Federal University, Dutse, Nigeria. Vol. 2 No 3.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2017. Nigerian Economic Recession: Lessons from Global Practices. Journal of Economics and Development Studies- JEDS, Vol. 5, No 1. Department of Economics, Faculty of Social and Management Studies, Kaduna State University. pp. 161-192.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2017. A Re-Investigation of Some Selected Macroeconomic Variables’ Response to Oil Price Shock in Nigeria (1981-2015): A VAR Model Approach. Volume 2 Number 2 September, Journal of Economics and Policy Analysis JEPA. Department of Economics, University of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2017. Women, Income and Job Satisfaction: The Women Speaks. Nile Journal of Business and Economics-NileJBE, Vol. 3, No. 6. Department of Economics, Faculty of Social and Management Science, Nile University. pp. 3-24.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A., Ohioze, and Olusanya, S.O. 2016. Open and Distance Learning: A Catalyst for Women Empowerment. West African Journal of Flexible Learning, WAJOFEL, Vol 4. 1. RETRIDAL Nigeria. pp.97-114.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Bakare, I.O.A. 2016. Income and Non Income Effects on Happiness: A Survey. African Journal of Sustainable Development AJSD Vol. 6, No 3, Centre for Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Bakare, I.O.A., Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Dosunmu, A. 2015. Global Financial Crises and Macroeconomic Performance in Nigeria: A Comparative Analysis. Journal of Economic Development Studies Vol 3 (1), Department of Economics, Faculty of Social and Management Studies, Kaduna State University. Nigeria, pp.79-99.
- Bakare, I.O.A., Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Lawal, O.A. 2015. Determinants of Urban Poverty in Nigeria: The Tales of Two Local Government Areas in Lagos. Journal of Management and International Development, Vol. 3 No. 3. NOUN, Nigeria, pp. 27-51.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2015. Liquidity Premium Theory: An empirical support from Sukuk Yield and Credit Curves. Ibadan Journal of the Social Sciences (IJSS), Vol. 13. No 1, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, pp. 1-12.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2014. Infrastructural Development Challenges in Emerging Nations: Sukuk (Islamic Bonds) Solution. Journal of Oriental and African Studies, Vol. 23. Greece pp.154-171.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2014. Sanders and Greasers Hypotheses: Corruption in Nigeria and Sustainable Economic Development. Journal of Management and International Development, Vol. 2 No. 1. Faculty of Management Sciences, NOUN, Nigeria, pp. 53-70.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A., Hassan, T., Shamsher, M. and Hassan, M.K. 2013. Is the Long Term Profit Rate of Malaysian Sukuk a Good Predictor of the Short Term Profit Rate? Capital Market Review Vol. 21, pp. 67-87. ISSN 1823-4445. Journal of Malaysian Finance Association (MFA)
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2013. Improving the Level of Education of and Economic Empowerment of Women in Purdah Through ODL at National Open University of Nigeria. West African Journal of Open & Flexible Learning, Vol. 3 Number 1. RETRIDAL, Nigeria. pp. 171-187.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2012. Islamic Banking: An Appraisal of the Exigencies and idiosyncrasy, Nigeria Journal of International Affairs (NJIA), Volume 38, Number 1, Special Edition Nigerian Institute of International Affairs NIIA. January-April. Nigeria, pp. 29-47.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A., Ibrahim Olatunde Uthman, Taofiq Hassan and Shamsher Mohd Ramadili. 2011. Islamic Financial Culture: Alternative Economic System for Rapid and Sustainable Economic Growth and Development in West African Countries. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5(7): 286-294. Index at http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/65068972/islamic-financial-culture-alternative-economic-system-rapid-sustainable-economic-growth-west-african-countries. INDEX IN EBSCOHOST.
- Mohamed Amraja Mohamed, Mohammed Hamizun Ismail, Ahmad Mahir Razali, Noriszura Ismail and Adesina Uthman Ganiyat. 2011. Own Damage, Third Party Property Damage Claims and Malaysian Motor Insurance: An Empirical Examination. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5(7): pg. 1190-1198, 2011, ISBN 1991-8178. Index at https://ukm.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/own-damage-third-party-property-damage-claims-and-malaysian-motor. INDEX IN ELSEVIER.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2010. Sustainable Microfinance Institution for Poverty Reduction: Malaysian Experience. Ontario International Development Agency OIDA International Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 2, No 4, Ontario, Canada. pp. 47-56.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2009. Financial Development and Economic Growth: Evidence from African Cross-Sectional Data. Journal of Oriental and African Studies JOAS, Vol 18, Athens, Greece, pages 323-333.
(d) Articles already accepted for Publication
Campaign Funding in Nigeria: Analysis of 2015 Election in Nigeria, Journal of Social Sciences, JSSNOUN Vol 2, Number 1, 2018. National Open University of Nigeria.
(e) Articles that have already appeared in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Shitile, T.S. 2019. Re-estimating the Impact of liquidity on Bank profitability in Nigeria, accepted for presenation and publication at the Conference on Zakat, Tax, Waqf and Economic Development ZAWED 2019 organised by Institute for Zakat Research and Innovation, Universiti Utara Malaysia. Edited by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norazlina Abd. Wahab, Dr. Syarifah Md Yusof, Norida Minhat @ Minhaj. 1st - 2nd December, 2019 at Hotel Adya, Pulau Langkawi, Kedah Malaysia.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2015. Employing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to Promote Open and Distance Education in ICDE Countries. Presented at International Conference on Education, Social Sciences and Humanities SOCIO-INT’15. Organized by International Organisation Centre of Academic Research, Hitit University, Istanbul, Turkey Edited by Prof. Dr. Ferit USLU. 8th 10th June, pp. 47-54.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Abdel Gasim. 2012. Short and Long Rates of Conventional and Islamic Bonds: An Appraisal. Conference Proceedings of 14th Malaysian Finance Association (MFA) organized by University of Science Malaysian and Asian Institute of Finance. Edited by Hooy Chee Wooi, Ellisha Nasruddin and Effiezal Aswadi Abdul Wahab. Held at Park Royal Resort, Batu Ferringhi Beach, Malaysia on 1st – 3rd June. ISBN: 978-967-394-093-6.pp. 1001-1017.
- Adesina-Uthman G. Aand Uthman I.O. 2010, “Credit Crunch, Renaissance of Gold: Islamic Monetary System and Sukuk Success Story So Far”, the Conference Proceedings of the International Conference on the Islamic Banking and finance Cross Border Practices and litigations organized by the Islamic Law Department, IIUM Malaysia in Collaboration with University of Wisconsin, USA, pp. 1-16.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2009. Efficient Pricing Mechanism for Sukuk Bonds: An Empirical Look Conference proceedings of Seminar on Quantitative Islamic Finance and Takaful (QIFT2009) organized by Centre for Modeling and Data Analysis (DELTA), School of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science & Technology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), 6th -7th July, Malaysia, pp. 61-71.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2004. The Role of Economic Globalisation in the Poverty of Muslim Ummah. International Conference on Poverty in the Muslim World and Communities: Causes and Solutions. Organised International Institute for Muslim Unity, International Islamic University Malaysia, pp. 376-390.
(f) COURSE MATERIALS FOR NOUN
- I’ve written and edited many course materials as could be find available on NOUN eCourseware www.nounonline.net
(g) Major Conferences Attended with Paper Read
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. (2019). Reinvestigating the Causality Effects of the Nigerians In Diaspora’s Remittances on Economic Growth (1980-2017). presented at 2nd International Conference of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria, Abuja Nigeria. Submitted for publication at Department of Economics’ Journal, Faculty of Social Sciences, Federal University Dutse, Jigawa State.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2017. Higher Education and Sustainable Development for a Knowledge-based Nigerian Economy. Presented at 5th Annual Conference of Association of West Africa Universities (AWAU). Held at Hotel Gaweye, Niamey, Niger Republic on 117th to 21st September, 2017. Book of Abstract
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2016. Poverty Reduction and Inequality: Sustaining Millennium Development Goals’ Achievements of Selected African Countries. Presented at 7th Ibadan Sustainable Development Conference (ISDC) held at The University of Ibadan Sustainable Development Centre, Bodija, Ibadan on 22nd-26th August, 2016.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. and Ademuyiwa, S.O. 2016. An Investigation of Cases of Newspaper Reporting of Corruption Cases in Nigeria: April-June, 2015. Presented at 7th Ibadan Sustainable Development Conference (ISDC) held at The University of Ibadan Sustainable Development Centre, Bodija, Ibadan on 22nd-26th August, 2016.
- Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2015.Quality Assurance (QAAS): Policy Schematic to Enhance Open and Distance Learning’s Institutions QAAS. Presented at the International Council for Distance Education’s conference held at Sun City Hotel, South African on 14th – 16th, October.
- Delegate at Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU) International Conference on Sustainable Economic Transformation. Held at Rainbow Tower Hotel, Harare Zimbabwe on 30th -31st July, 2015.
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2014. Enhancing Economic Empowerment of Lagos Market Women: A Proposed Model for National Open University of Nigeria. Presented at the 4th African Council for Distance Education (ACDE), June 6-8, Victoria Fall, Zimbabwe.
- Ohioze, W.F, Odishika, V.A, Adedeji, L.A, Olusanya, S.O, Adesina-Uthman, G.A. 2013. Open and Distance Learning in Nigeria Through National Open University of Nigeria: An Appraisal. Presented at 7th Pan Commonwealth Forum (PCF7) conference organized by Commonwealth of Learning and National Open University of Nigeria. Held at Abuja International Convention Centre between 2nd – 6th December, 2013. ** (Contribution: 30%)
- Adesina-Uthman, G.A., Ohioze, W.F, Odishika, V.A, Adedeji, L.A, Olusanya, S.O. 2013. Open and Distance Learning: A Catalyst for Women Empowerment (National Open University of Nigeria-NOUN- as Case Study). Presented at 7th Pan Commonwealth Forum (PCF7) conference organized by Commonwealth of Learning and National Open University of Nigeria. Held at Abuja International Convention Centre between 2nd – 6th December, 2013.
- International conference on “Diversifying Sources of Finance”, Euromoney-Institutional Investors, Al-faisalia Hotel, Riyadh Saudi Arabia, 16th-17th May, 2011.
- Shamsher Mohd Ramadili, Taofiq Hassan and Adesina-Uthman G. A. 2010. Examining Malaysian Government Sukuk Pricing: Two-Factor Model Approach, presented at the Ontario International Development agency (OIDA) International Conference on Social Science and Humanities, June 22-25, 2010, referred book of abstract, pp 233.
- Adesina-Uthman, G. A. 2009. “Infrastructural Development Challenges In Emerging Nations: Sukuk as Panacea” presented at the International Conference on Islamic Financial Services organized by faculty of Law, University of Ilorin in Conjunction with Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI) Jeddah on 6th-7th October, 2009
(h) Completed Works
- Adesina-Uthman, G. A. 2019. Reinvestigating The Causality Effects Of The Nigerians In Diaspora’S Remittances On Economic Growth (1980-2017) (submitted for publication)
- Adesina-Uthman, G. A. and Inabo O. A. 2019. Gender And Economic Development In Nigeria (1981- 2018): An Application Of Autoregressive Distributed Lag Model
(i) Ongoing Research
- Adesina-Uthman, G. A. and Inabo O. A. 2019. Gender And Human Capital Development: Evidence From Selected Higher Institutions In Nigeria
Membership of Learned Societies
- Fellow, Chartered Economists (FCE) Ghana, Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria and Institute of Chartered Economists of Ghana (ICEN/ICEG). Nigeria and Ghana.
- Associate Member (ACMA), Chartered Institute of Cost and Management Accountants (CICMA). Nigerian chapter.
- Full Member, (FMNES), Nigerian Economic Society (NES). Nigeria.
- Member, African Council for Distance Education (ACDE). Kenya.
- Member, Islamic Economics and Finance Research Network (IEFRN).
- Member, West Africa Islamic Economics Forum (WAIF). Nigeria
- Member, Nigeria Islamic Finance Forum(NIFF). Nigeria.
- Member, African Women Entrepreneur Forum (AWEF)
- Member, International Association for Feminist Economists (IAFFE). Houston, USA
- Member, Teachers of Economics Forum
- Senior Member, International Economics Development and Research Centre (IEDRC). Hong Kong.
- Member, Governing Council, Institute of Islamic Finance Professional (IIFP). Nigeria